Discussion questions for Alchemy of the Afterlife, A Memoir
1. Did you enjoy the book? Would you recommend it to friends?
2. What are your feelings about hospice and hospice workers? Have they changed since reading the book?
3. Linda says in the book when she shares one of her stories, patients and families often tell her a “miraculous” story in return. Have you experienced anything similar with a loved one who is dying or who has died?
4. What are your feelings about Linda’s sister? Why do you think she is never called by name?
5. Did you identify with any character or situation?
6. If you could meet one character from the book, who would that be? What would you ask?
7. Linda’s childhood is told through flashbacks. Did these flashbacks relate to the present day stories?
8. What emotions did you experience as you read the book?
9. How important was the abusive Uncle Karl to the story? Would it have been better or worse if he had been omitted?
10. Is there a passage from the book that stands out in your mind?
11. What do you believe happens when we die? Did your belief about life after death change in anyway after reading the book?
12. Mama is critical to Linda’s survival. Do you feel you have anyone with you?